As parents we want to do all we can to help our kids become their best.
We encourage them to be active and we push them to excel academically.
Are you ready for some good news?
The two go hand in hand! Study after study has shown that kids who are physically active do better in school than kids who are not fit!
- The CDC reviewed a group of 50 studies on the link between school based physical activity and academic success. The results showed that more than half of the studies revealed positive results and none revealed negative effects.
- The National Association of Sports and Physical Education reported that kids who performed better on fitness tests ALSO performed better on academic tests.
- The American College of Sports Medicine reports that the fittest kids in their studies did 30% better than the least fit kids.
- The American Heart Association revealed that staying active during school years leads to better school performance and higher academic achievement.
- The International Journal of the History of Sports stated that college students with “Dual Careers” of athletics and achedimic do better than those with only a single focus.
Just in case you are wondering why, we’ve provided some of the reasons sports and being active are an asset to your child’s scholastic career. Check out our reasons below:
Why physical activity is good for academics:
- Self Discipline – Sports builds discipline which is an important skill in all areas of life including academics.
- Focus – When kids are able to be physically active during the day, they expel excess energy and that leads to better concentration in the classroom. (Insert cheers from the teachers here!)
- Time Management – Kids who participate in both sports and academics have to learn to manage their time better which is a skill they will carry well into adulthood.
- Motivation – Many schools only allow kids to participate if they achieve a certain level of academic success; this can motivate them to pursue the kind of grades they need in order to play!
- Stress Relief – Physical activity and organized sports offer an outlet for kids to relax, have fun and shake off the stress of the day.
OCSC is here to help your kids get fit and have fun doing it! We have awesome youth programming that includes gymnastics, trampoline, fencing, martial arts, dance, cheer/tumbling. If you are interested in learning more about what we have to offer, click here.