Don't Quit Now! Tips to help you stay on track with your 2018 fitness goals
By now almost everyone knows the shocking (and somewhat sad) statistics that only 8 % of people stick to their New Year's resolutions. In a U.S. News article only 8% of all people who set New Year’s Eve resolutions stick to them for the entire year. That means that around 80% of resolutions are abandoned by the second week of February.
So the big question is… How are you doing? Are you making progress toward your fitness goals?
If things are going great…Congrats! Stick to it and please share your progress in the comments or on our facebook page. Your story might be just the thing one of our readers needs to hear to keep moving toward their goals.
If your fitness journey has kind of stalled before it really got started…don’t quit now! We are here to help. Remember our New Year’s Resolution was to help you achieve yours! Below are a few tips to help you stay on track (or get back on track) and crush those fitness goals.
- Our first tip is the most important…Don’t Quit! So many people who begin to backslide on their resolutions, quit all together. This is the worst thing you can do!! If you have missed a few days at the gym or spent the weekend indulging in your favorite snacks while watching playoff football, that doesn’t mean you have failed. Any progress is PROGRESS!! Today is a NEW DAY so refocus and start again.
- Repetition is the Key to Success. If you keep doing the work, you will see results. Get yourself to the gym as often as you can and stay as consistent as you can.
- Choose Something to Let Go. Take a look at your life and see if there is something you can let go in order to carve out some workout time.
- Do you spend too much time binge watching TV? Maybe you don’t need to watch every night.
- Do you get sucked into the world of social media and lose track of time? Maybe checking in to social media is a reward for after you work out.
- Do you hang out with your friends after work every day? Try a group fitness class together and you’ll have a new way to hang out that is beneficial for everyone!
- Do you devote a lot of time to making sure every inch of your home is neat and tidy? Maybe it is ok to let the laundry pile up for a day…or enlist your spouse or your kids to pitch in and help so you can meet your goals.
- Are you a member of a club (or clubs) that have regular meetings? Maybe there is one that you aren’t as devoted to any longer. Taking a leave of absence might mean that you are refreshed and able to offer more when you re-join.
- Celebrate the Little Victories. Don’t wait until you hit your big goal to celebrate, take the time to celebrate everything! If you make it to the gym for the 3rd day this week, celebrate. If you lose a pound, celebrate. If you passed on the bread at dinner, celebrate. In all things that move you toward your goal, celebrate.
- Make it Fun. If you are having trouble sticking to your New Year’s Resolutions you might need to do more to make it fun! Try something new. A group fitness class like Zumba or do your cardio on a different piece of equipment or try working out with a friend or enlist the help of a personal trainer.
Tried everything and still feel like giving up? Maybe you set too big a goal. Sometimes the New Year’s Resolutions we make set ourselves up for failure. Try cutting your goal in half…or expand the deadline for meeting the goal. Instead of saying I want to lose 50 lbs by the start of the summer, adjust it to I want to lose 25 lbs by the start of the summer and another 25 by the end of the year.
No matter where you are in you fitness journey, keep moving! Even if you really never got started, today is a new day. Give us a call and let us help you put together a program that motivates you! We’ve got all kinds of programs designed to help make getting fit easier and more fun. We would love to hear about your fitness goals, so pick up the phone, head into the club